Moscow '41 Gold
The German orders to capture of Moscow in October 1941 specified the use of 51 divisions, including 13 panzer divisions, to encircle the city. As the Germans closed in on the capital, the fighting got fiercer and more desperate. The delay of the German forces after Smolensk left little time for the drive to Moscow before the onset of winter. And while both German and Russian High Commands were well aware of this, nevertheless, "Operation Typhoon" went ahead as planned. The attack was costly and first bogged down in endless mud, making the roads impassable. Next, the offensive was literally "frozen in its tracks" when the harsh Soviet winter set in. The Germans were not provided with winter clothing, and their vehicles and equipment were similarly not prepared. Yet despite all this, they reached the western suburbs, barely 17 km from the Kremlin, but before they ever encircled the city Soviet reinforcements arrived. Some of these new Russian troops were Siberian divisions, equipped and trained for winter fighting. Can you capture Moscow in the face of the strengthening Red Army and the onset of the bitter Russian Winter?
- 27 Scenarios are included covering both Fall and Winter fighting.
- Two major Campaign Periods:
- 2 Oct until the on set of the muddy weather brought the offensive to a halt.
- 15 Nov until the drive ended on the outskirts of Moscow.
- Campaign scenarios are included for both time periods as well as smaller scenarios covering specific actions and what if situations.
- The map area encompasses over 150,000 hexes (438 x 385) covering from 15km north of Kalinin in the north to 80 km south of Tula.
Game features include:
- Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
- Order-of-Battle and Scenario Editors which allow players to customize the game.
- Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
- Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
New Gold features include:
- An additional 26 scenarios from the Volcano Man mods making 53 in total. These include both historical and hypothetical scenarios.
- All new game graphics including terrain, in game counters and 2D & 3D units as well as the toolbar icons.
- All new sounds.
- Game enhancements include revised disruption movement and reinforcement ‘place all’ function from the First World War Campaign series.
Here are some files from the game:
- Designer Notes (PDF file)
- Scenario Design: Glenn Saunders, Dave Blackburn, Jörg Lissa and Ed “Volcano Man” Williams
- Additional Research: Greg "Sturm" Smith
- Additional Graphics: Adam Parker
- Playtesters: Panzergruppe Saunders
- Gold Release: David Freer with Wargame Design Studio
- Special Thanks: Garreth Hughes from World War 2 Timeline for the use of his dates and facts.
System RequirementsWindows Vista, 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
This wargame is for sale at The John Tiller Software Store